2016. March 18.
The exhibition of the world-famous Italian civil engineer and architect, Pier Luigi NERVI will be visitable in three different places in the organized by the BME Faculty of Civil Engineering and Faculty of Architecture.
The extensive use of the reinforced concrete is also due to Nervi that the reinforced concrete became widely used in Europe.
The exhibition is visitable:
- from the 21st to the 25th of March 2016. at BME K building Hall
- from the 29th of March to the 29th of April 2016. at BME K building, room 320; and
- from the 5th to the 24th of May 2016. at FUGA Budapest Center of Architecture.
Everyone is invited to the opening ceremony from 3.15 PM 21st of March 2016. at the BME K building Hall. The opening ceremony’s guest of honours will be Marco Nervi (the grandson of Pier Luigi Nervi, who is the president of PLN Project Association), two members of the PLN Project Association, the Italian Ambassador of Budapest and the cultural attaché of the Istituto Italiano di Cultura Budapest.
Over the Nervi exhibition there will be other programs, linked to the works of the famous engineer:
- Nervi Workshop from 9 AM to 1.15 PM on the 21st of March 2016. at the Ceremonial Hall of BME Building K;
- Photo competition, and its announcement of results (2.15 PM 25th of March 2016. BME Hall of Building K)
- Model Building Competition and its announcement of results (2 PM 29th of April 2016. Room 320, BME Building K)
It is worth to have a glance at the works of Nervi and the exhibition and the other programs are great opportunities to do that.
Pier Luigi Nervi (1891–1979) was an Italian engineer and architect. Over his very active building career, he was a professor of engineering at Rome University from 1946 to 1961. He is widely known for his innovative use of reinforced concrete.
After building many hangars and factories, during the 1940s he developed ideas for a reinforced concrete which helped in the rebuilding of many buildings and factories throughout Western Europe after the World War I. He even designed and created a boat hull that was made of reinforced concrete as a promotion for the Italian government.
Nervi tried to focus on the design by leaving the columns and experimenting with thin shell structures. He borrowed from both Roman andRenaissance architecture.
Most of his built structures are in his native Italy, but he also worked on projects abroad.
Some of his works:
And many sport arenas, stadiums and exhibition halls.
Source: Wikipedia, http://pierluiginervi.org/